My hell weekend is finally over (on Tuesday night! sheesh!) and I am so excited for a relaxing night of Instagrams with you. I really wanted to share my blog planner, but then I lost it for a week, and only found it again tonight after the sun had set and the lighting got too bad for pictures. Le sigh. So, that post will be coming in the very near future. If you’re a terrible organizer like me and need a notebook a little different from most people’s to get things done, I hope my DIY fix will help you out!
In the mean time, to the photos! I’m trying out a new layout this time, so stick with me, por favor!
1. Most delicious turtle sundae at Klavon’s! // 2. Look, a planet! I don’t know which one, but it’s a planet!
3. New friend Mike has giant hands. // 4. Any fellow Chivers?? That’s a mislabeled states shirt! (It’s actually of Kentucky. I wouldn’t have noticed.)
5. Hello, bright and sunshiny day! // 6. I go to Pitt, and that’s the Cathedral of Learning. It’s like Hogwarts inside! The first floor is, anyway. Pretty spiffy.
7. Reading Salt outside this Saturday! // 8. Told you I had a rough St. Patrick’s Day! Tumbled over my futon. Thanks, Jameson.
9. Your weekly dose of Dmitri! // 10. I heard this pathetic crying outside my window yesterday, and ended up “having” a cat for an hour and a half. He was so precious.
My, my. I sure do use Nashville a lot. Is that the most overused Instagram filter, or is it just me? I just love it. Can’t get enough. Bonus? It totally evens out my skin tone – for a girl that likes to wear tinted moisturizer instead of real foundation, that’s always welcome!
If you want to find me on Instagram, just search for “nicetobelieve”! I would love it if you added me, as I’d love to follow my blog readers! You’re all quite lovely, I imagine!
Safe & sexy,
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random things.
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them that you’ve tagged them.
1. I thought my favorite color was green until I realized a few days ago that everything I buy anymore is purple. Apparently, my favorite color is purple.
2. I want a cat more than anything else in the world. My parents are allergic and I’ll be moving back home after college for just a little while until I get on my feet, so I definitely won’t be able to afford a cat for a bit, but when I can get one, I want to name it either Alot (see: Hyperbole and a Half) or Hayek (an Austrian economist). Big, lazy, cuddly cats are my favorites.
3. Recently, I discovered that I prefer shooting with my film SLR (which is from the 1970s) to shooting with my DSLR (which is from 2010). I feel like a total hipster jackass saying this, but it’s just so different. If you’ve never tried film photography, I recommend picking up an older SLR (a Canon, Nikon, or Minolta) and giving it a go. It’s so exciting when you get to pick up your rolls.
4. I love beer. My favorite beers include Mad Elf, Dogfish Head 90 Minute, Victory Golden Monkey, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and lately, I’ve been really like Belgians, especially ones with fruity notes. I love stouts, too. And when it comes to ubercheap beer, I don’t think you can beat a PBR or a Duquesne Pilsner.
5. I have/had really bad generalized anxiety. My arousal level was pretty much constantly at a 6/10, so little things would take me way up to an 8 or 9. I’ve had a couple of panic attacks, but anxiety attacks for me were really harsh and could last for hours. I finally told my counselor I’d been seeing for it that I was having problems concentrating and thought I might need more than talk therapy, so I’ve been taking medication for it (daily antidepressants, not anti-anxiety drugs) and I feel infinitely better. It really bothers me that there’s such a stigma against taking these medications. I just know that I feel a million times better than I have in the last several years.
6. The college I go to was originally my last choice school. Ha. By the time I actually visited, though, I absolutely fell in love. I visited after I got accepted, and I had applied purely on a whim and to have an extra safety. It was the only school I really felt at home at, and people were so, so welcoming. I applied to 4 schools: Tulane, University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Melon University, and Notre Dame. I got into the first two, and was rejected by the second two. I wish I had applied to more schools, but I’ve been so happy at Pitt, and I wouldn’t change that.
7. I’m very close to my parents. I’m an only child and both of my parents have always been a really big part of my life, always very involved. I love and respect my parents more than anyone.
8. I have really bizarre luck. My friend Rob says that I lead a charmed life. That may or may not be so haha. When I quit my high paying retail job in October of 2010, I didn’t have another job lined up, but I did need one. Three weeks later, I got a text from my friend Jess asking if I wanted to come work with her. I’ve been working at that cafe for a 15 months now, and I’ve never had a job I’ve loved more.
9. You probably won’t see many outfit posts on Marvelous Darling, because I’m very self conscious about my feet and the fact that I can rarely find cute shoes. I have two completely different sized feet: my left is a kids’ 11 and my right is a womens 6. I can walk and run just fine, and I have special orthotics to keep my bone structure from screwing up my knees and back, but as you can imagine, it’s hell trying to be stylish. I’m very blessed to live in the means that I do, where I can afford medical care, but as selfish and first world as this sounds, sometimes a girl just wants a pair of heels, y’know?
10. I turn into a puddle of goo over dogs, especially pit bulls. I love pit bulls. But I love them so much that I usually can’t get the full two words to come out of my mouth and I end up saying “pibbles.” They’re such good dogs.
11. I have two middle names, legally. I think one is supposed to be a confirmation name, but they’re both on my birth certificate and my social security card, and I use them both. This is why I can’t have anything monogrammed.
11 Questions from Dorian & Maine
1. What is your least favourite thing in the world? (I know, we’re starting off happy, aren’t we?)
My least favorite thing in the world is definitely a combination of sounds and textures. Squeaking chalk or when you rub a textured paper napkin against itself. That drives me up a wall.
2. Do you sleep with lots of covers or not very many?
I sleep with a sheet, a comforter, and a blanket. I like to keep my room cool and my bed roasty-toasty.
3. You’re having one of those ‘I need a paper bag over my head NOW’ days. What do you do to make yourself feel better?
I put on comfy clothes and retreat with something to take my mind off of it. My go-tos are yoga pants, a tee, and a good book. Cooking something delicious and healthy helps me, too!
4. If you had a can of peaches and I wanted some, would you give them to me?
Absolutely! I don’t want you to get scurvy.
5. What is your favourite design trend?
I’m happy that it’s completely acceptable to use Instagrams all over the place because it’s so much easier to inconspicuously Instagram in public than to whip out a DSLR.
6. Humans tend to like keepsakes. Are there any that you like to keep with you whenever possible?
I don’t really have anything that I carry around, no. I get very attached to my purses, though. I usually only have one and use it for years.
7. What is your favourite era in history?
This is soooo counterintuitive for an econ major, but I love the 20s and 30s. Yeah, it was a trainwreck, but it was such a beautiful trainwreck.
8. Is there a food that you associate with a certain time in your life?
Shrimp fried rice = early high school.
9. What blog do you find yourself going to the most these days?
So hard to choose one! See my links page or my Lazy Sunday posts if you’re curious. I hate to pick one because then I’m like, BUT THERE ARE SO MANY AND I LOVE YOU ALL.
10. How do you feel about where you are in your blog’s journey?
Oh, definitely just starting out! I feel like the kid who runs away from home to the woods at the age of 8 with like, a peanut butter sandwich and a bandana tied on a stick. I’m approximately that prepared. But I’m excited to gain experience and hopefully get to the point where I’m more legit, more like Hatchet than “Hansel and Gretel”. You know, if we’re sticking with the kids in the woods theme.
11. Are there any Do’s or Don’ts you’ve learned while blogging that you would like to suggest to your readers?
Don’t expect overnight success. I still look at my traffic several times a day, and I did set a goal for myself for exposure, but now that I see that I have actual returning vistors, I feel so much more gratified. And that took several months. Be patient. Write for yourself. If you’re genuine about your content, people will like you more.
My own 11 Questions
1. Leather or lace?
2. If you could bring only one thing to entertain you on a 22 hour train ride, what would it be?
3. What’s your favorite number, and why?
4. Do you believe in or draw significance from your zodiac sign?
5. How do you feel about strawberry jam versus grape jelly, particularly on PB&J?
6. What’s your favorite meal? Give me specifics. No “dinner” bullcrap.
7. If you plan on having children, do you want to know their sex before they’re born, or keep it a surprise?
8. Who’s your least favorite celebrity?
9. What’s your favorite album?
10. If you could only drink one specific thing for the rest of your life – but not worry about dehydration – what would you drink?
11. Does he love me? I wanna know. How can I tell if he loves me so?
Everyone whose blog I follow has already done this, so I’m taking it to Twitter and Tumblr. If you’re reading this, I would love for you to complete it and send me a link or comment with where you posted it!
Safe & sexy,